10 Twin Cities Salons Using Safer Products
As more people become conscious of ingredient safety in the beauty industry, products that use safer ingredients are getting easier to find.
But what about hair and nail salons? Or spa treatments?
Conventional hair dyes, chemical treatments, nail polishes, and even styling products can contain ingredients linked to cancer and hormone disruption. We touched on this broader issue of safer beauty products in our recent podcast episode about fertility with Dr. Danielle Vogler-Bos.
If you’re new to this issue, the Environmental Working Group Skin Deep database is a wonderful tool to get started.
As we dove into the world of nail care and health we saw so many opportunities to use products that were safer both for our clients and team – who are using these products day in and day out!Natalie Bolden, co-owner of Haven Nail Salon
Here are 10 Twin Cities salons using safer products:
- The Hive Salon – This eco-friendly hair salon in NE Minneapolis has a gorgeous space, filled with natural light, plants, and local art on display. They don’t use any products with synthetic fragrance, petroleum based ingredients, PVP, silicone, phthalates, or parabens. And they’re GreenCircle Certified, which means that about 95% of their waste is diverted from landfills and waterways.
- Haven Nail Studio – Co-owners Natalie Bolden and Kaitlin Casper saw an opportunity for a nail salon that used both safer products and innovative methods to reduce the impact on the environment. Their waterless nail services save thousands of gallons of water per year, without sacrificing on experience. Their pedicures are so luxurious and relaxing, you don’t even miss the foot soak.
- Tula Spa – With a variety of spa services, including waxing, massage, skin care, and reiki, Tula Spa promotes overall health through a holistic approach. They carry safer products, many of which are organic and don’t use plastic packaging. A true neighborhood gem in south Minneapolis, they’re about to expand into a bigger space. You’ll be able to check it out soon!
- Jaide Organic Salon – A south Minneapolis organic hair salon offering ammonia free hair color and a variety of organic skin and haircare products for sale. Opened in 2005 by Michele Nadeau, Jaide Organic Salon brings together a love of creative expression and healthier products.
- Spot Spa – With two locations (NE Minneapolis and Uptown Minneapolis) this urban oasis is a dreamy place to get a spa treatment. Offering a variety of holistic treatments, including facials, massage, craniosacral, acupuncture, bodywork, and hair removal, it’s hard to choose just one! Their retail section is full of clean beauty and self care products, including brands like RMS Beauty, One Love Organics, and Dr. Haushka.
- Nature of Beauty – This eco-boutique and spa in south Minneapolis has done their homework, and they only carry only “the safest, highest performing skin care, hair care, and makeup so you can shop with confidence.” Find them in the Hiawatha/Howe neighborhood, and pop in to shop or enjoy one of their spa treatments.
- Beyond Organic – Rooted in organic and natural principles, this sweet little salon/spa is located in the Tangletown neighborhood of south Minneapolis. If you’re looking for a more private and personalized experience than a big salon, this one’s for you!
- Beauty Ecology – Owner Kassandra experienced negative health effects in her early years as a colorist. This inspired her to research the industry along with functional medicine and the internal triggers of many hair and skin concerns. “Many women spend hundreds of dollars on magic potions, but unless you address underlying imbalances, time and money is lost – leaving you more discouraged.”
- Frenchies Modern Nail Care – A national chain with three locations in the Twin Cities (Downtown Minneapolis, Woodbury, and Lakeville). This nail salon doesn’t do acrylics, and they carry polishes up to 12 free (meaning free of 12 harmful chemicals).
- Fusion Lifespa – Part spa, part natural health clinic, you can find a wide variety of services at Fusion Lifespa, including organic skincare, massage, private spa experiences, odorless and natural manicures and pedicures, Traditional Chinese Medicine, naturopathic medicine for families, homeopathy, nutrition, and more.
There are some services that we cannot source an alternative for, so we don’t offer them. Permanent waves (perms) and Keratin Treatments (Brazillian blowout etc) both produce heavy fumes as they work, so we’ve never taken them on as a treatment option. Instead, we have all stylists trained to work on all textures and types of hair, so that we can help clients achieve a look that works for the hair they already have.Jen Cortez, owner of The Hive Salon
It’s exciting to see that many of these salons and spas have reopened with strict safety protocols in place to help protect staff and customers from the spread of COVID-19.
Are you ready to get back to some pampering yet? What’s the first thing on your list? Let me know in the comments!